Granola is regarded as a healthy cereal for breakfast. This is a toasted combination of nuts, rolled oats, and a sweetener that can be either honey or sugar. At times, granola also comprises other grains, dried fruits, puffed rice, nut butter, spices, and seeds. People can add some more components to granola, like syrups, oils, and chocolate. Lots of people prefer to eat granola as it is full of protein, micronutrients, and fiber. It might provide magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, B vitamins, Vitamin E, and selenium. Nonetheless, the nutritional profile of granola does not remain the same, and it varies based on the ingredients used.
People habitually use the term “muesli granola” together as they share several similarities. Both granola and muesli are oat-based cereals, and they work as nutritional supplements. Again, both have some ingredients, too, such as nuts like almonds or walnuts, rolled oats, dried fruits like cranberries, raisins, dates, or apricots, and seeds like flax seeds, sesame seeds, and chia seeds. Granola and muesli can comprise other grains, too, such as quinoa, barley, or millet. Most people customize them by adding some additional components, such as fresh fruits or nuts. And they are different based on how they are prepared and served.
Granola has lots of health benefits as the ingredients present in it are full of good fats and fiber. Hence, granola has turned into a nutrient-dense food. Some factors that make granola beneficial for people’s health are:
- Weight loss benefits – Granola has some high-fiber foods, such as whole grains and oats. These components make people feel full easily. According to dietary studies, it has been discovered that when people consume a high-fiber diet, they can shed weight.
- Augments blood pressure – Some foods, such as fruits, whole grains, and flaxseeds, can lessen hypertension or high blood pressure. And when people make some lifestyle and dietary changes, they can lessen the number of medicines they take for some issues.
- Helps in preventing diseases – Nuts and dried fruit comprise vitamin E and antioxidants, and they help lower inflammation. Antioxidants avert cell damage that can be the cause of some serious diseases like cancer.
- Lessens the levels of cholesterol – Oats comprise beta-glucan, a compound that can lessen LDL or low-density lipoproteins levels, and LDL cholesterol blocks blood vessels that can result in various health problems or heart disease. Some whole grains present in granola are teff or quinoa, and they are vital proteins and amino acids.
- Discourage high levels of blood sugar – As dried fruits and whole grains contain fiber, when people eat more fiber, it slows down the process by which people’s bodies digest carbohydrates and sugar. Granola comprises all these elements, which is why it can prevent a rise in the levels of blood sugar.
The Ideal Breakfast
Granola is an ideal breakfast cereal that has huge similarities to muesli. Due to their similarities, most people consider muesli granola to be the same thing. However, granola is coated in oil, besides some kind of sugar. After these ingredients are mixed, granola gets baked to get a chunky and crunchy texture. Some common components comprise chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, dried fruit, seeds, and oats.